Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Deer Weizenbier
Today's brewing endeavor is the Weizenbier kit by Brewer's Best.  I'm happy with the brewing activities, but when I added the water to the wort (in the fermentation bucket), my temperature was still a bit too warm....The thermometer says 76 degrees.  I want to cool it down a bit more and decided to place the whole bucket in the sink and add ice...just like I do with the brewing kettle.....Problem is:  I was out of ice and had to improvise...

[Image: 022.jpg]

Yup, that's packs of frozen venison stuffed all around the bucket....We're a few weeks away from knowing how the beer is gonna taste, but ya gotta dig the improv.

This time my OG is 1.05 which is precisely what the kit said it should be.

Scoots
Ha, thats a lot of venison to eat! I hope it didn't all thaw out. Great name for the beer by the way. Hope to try it at the guild meeting.
Well, sad to say the reaction to my Weizenbier attempt wasn't too encouraging @ Goat Lips the other day. Bummer....
Don't get discouraged!
Brewing beer is something you can learn in a day but it takes a lifetime to master! Look back on your brew day processes think of where improvements can be made.

Start with cleaning and sanitation. This is one of the most crucial steps but can be so easily overlooked and it has a huge impact on the finished product.

Temperature is another good focus point. Temp control impacts the gravity, flavor, and aroma of beer. Maintaining temp control through the entire brewing process will increase the quality.

Finally look at your water. Water is the largest ingredient in beer. Make sure you have the cleanest freshest water you can get.

Have you looked at How to Brew by John Palmer https://www.howtobrew.com/ or The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition by Charlie Papazian.
I'm not a quitter, never have been and I don't plan on starting now. I do get frustrated at times, but not overly discouraged. At present time, I realize that these box kits are teaching me basic techniques with basic materials and strict instructions geared toward boosting my confidence. At the end of the day, I will have a marginal beer to the experienced palate. Considering my total lifetime experience consists of a whopping 3 batches of beer thus far, I can't be disappointed with any of the results.

My goal at this point is to continue to advance in this craft. Form relationships with experienced brewers locally....participate in brewing activities, watch, ask questions and learn.....try my luck at all grain brewing and hopefully produce a respectful result which I can enjoy with others.

I recently purchased 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing"....reading a little each evening.

Scoots
That's a great book and will definitely help you down the path to beer greatness. I missed the last club meeting to try your beer but if it's a little rough try mixing it half-half with coke. It's a German thing and it's pretty good. What kind of feedback where you getting?
The feedback went like this:

1. After Daryn educated us on the style history and perameters, J. Martin passed around several German samples. He then announced that two of us had brought beer made in the same style and encouraged folks to sample ours before everything else. I brought out two bottles (yes, I bottle beer) and passed them around. One guy questioned the color and a couple others at that table took a sip and made an unpleasant facial expression and then handed me back my bottle. They questioned whether or not I made the right style and started joking amongst themselves that my beer must have been an extract of some sort....I moved on to the next table....

2. I pulled Daryn aside and asked him to sample the two different brews I brought, he actually said my Weizenbier was within the color expectation and the flavor was on point with the style as well. He asked about brewing and fermentation temps, time in bottle and so forth. His general feedback was the front end flavors will probably improve with another week or two in the bottles.

3. I then pulled J. Martin aside and asked for his feedback as well. He seemed to like my Summer Ale and felt the Weizenbier was "OK" but not all that remarkable and preferred others.

4. Pat (sitting next to me) sampled them and told me I have nothing to be ashamed of. There were no infections in either beer. Neither had any sort of contaminations and he'd prefer to drink what I brought over so many of the "super hoppy" or overly spiced beers made by others...He said my color and carbonation were great and he felt the "unremarkable" flavor of the Weizenbier made it easy to drink, so lets not let any of it go to waste.

that was the way my feedback went....
BTW, I have 5 gallons of it....there's plenty here to be served. If you venture up near the Cantonment area, give me a shout and I will make sure to have a glass of cold beer ready.
It sounds like the responses that you are getting are the palate preference of the drinker. It is very difficult to separate personal preference from appropriate for the style. If you get the chance drop a couple of bottles off at Gary's shop. I would be more than happy to sample and give you my impressions.

As a side note Pat is right. If you are brewing clean beers that is something to be proud of it is the first step in success.

Matt